“Travel brings power and love back into your life.” - Rumi
People often use Memorial Day weekend as an excuse to get away from everything and have a good time! There are plenty of celebrations all across the United States that offer something special for this three day weekend! “Be it a unique patriotic tribute, a celeb-worthy pool party, an epic blues festival, or a vineyard tour,” there is something for everyone! Check out some of the top destinations for Memorial Day weekend!
As you could have guessed, DC is one of the most patriotic places to visit during this time of the year. There are a ton of events that will take place in order to honor those who died while serving our country. For example:
- The Thursday before Memorial Day, soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery put flags before each gravestone.
- A wreath-laying ceremony will happen on Memorial Day at the Tomb of the Unknowns accompanied by performances from the U.S. Army Band.
- Men in uniform will march in the National Memorial Day Parade along the National Mall at 2 p.m.
- Don’t miss the National Memorial Day Concert Sunday on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
See this article for other upcoming Memorial Day events in Washington, DC: “Memorial Day 2013 in Washington, DC.”
New York is also a great place to visit for Memorial Day weekend! While in the Big Apple during this time, you can:
- Catch a free musical performance by the New York Philharmonic at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. Tickets for the 8 p.m. show are free and available on a first-come first-served basis starting at 6 p.m. on May 27.
- Brooklyn’s historic Green-Wood Cemetery also offers a free Memorial Day concert at 2:30 p.m. highlighting the works of some of its most famous residents like Leonard Bernstein among others.
- The Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum will kick off its free summer movie series by showing Top Gun Friday night, while Memorial Day festivities continue all weekend long with demonstrations by the U.S. Coast Guard, performances by the Liberty Belles USO Show Troupe, and a Commemoration Ceremony at 11 a.m. on May 27.
- Families will want to catch the Brooklyn Memorial Day Parade, a tradition in the Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn since 1867. All Veterans, regardless of age or war, are invited to participate. The parade starts at 11 A.M., runs along 3rd Avenue towards Marine Avenue, and continues to 4th Ave. before making its way to John Paul Jones Park for a ceremony in honor of those who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
For other NYC Memorial Day weekend events, see this article: “Memorial Day Weekend in New York, NY.”
Memorial Day in Vegas is one of the busiest times of the year! See what all goes on in Las Vegas during this time:
- Parties are held around the resorts’ elaborate pools and become daylight nightclubs with DJs, drink carts, bottle service, cabanas, and more.
- To get in on the action, grab a chaise at the Venus Pool Club at Caesars Palace—ladies always get in free, while admission is free for men Monday thru Thursday, with reduced rates before 2 p.m. Friday thru Sunday.
- The Tropicana Las Vegas opened its Bagatelle Beach & Nightclub last Memorial Day weekend, featuring Mediterranean food and comfy daybeds to lounge in by day, with poolside dining and a new nightclub by night—admission is $30 for men, $20 for women, and Nevada residents get in free with a valid ID.
- The XS Nightclub at the Wynn Las Vegas & Encore Resort will host DJ Afrojack Saturday night and David Guetta on Sunday night among other electronica superstars over the weekend—tickets can be purchased ahead of time starting at $55 for men and $25 for the ladies.
See this article for more information on what’s going on in Las Vegas during Memorial Day weekend: “Party at Las Vegas nightclubs for Memorial Day weekend.”
As you prepare for this weekend, check out these tips on How to Plan a Last-Minute Memorial Day Weekend Getaway:
Also, take a look at the article “12 Great Memorial Day Getaways,” for more inspiration on where to travel!
I hope everyone enjoys the relaxation time this weekend!